Nicholas Coley

The story of Nicholas Coley and ArtB.ag.

"I see no end to the possibilities of painting out in the world. Just stand there long enough until the light shimmers off the pavement, or the comforting pattern of parking meters, the side view mirrors, the shadows under cars. If you love nature enough, you will see it even here, in our urban world.
Nicholas Coley: Artist Statement

I was running to the Golden Gate bridge and back today thinking about what ArtB.ag was. I kept thinking "man, there are so many great things that people create and nobody ever gets to see them. Isn't that a shame?"

Well, right when I was about to make my final turn onto Cervantes there was Nicholas Coley. He was looking pretty serious and had a really interesting canvas catching the fading like just so.

I did my patented move: "let me pretend I am turning around here so he doesn't think I am stalking him but I want to get a better look at that". I watched him paint for a minute, took that picture and then started home. Then a voice screamed at me from inside.







"CAM! Adam is trying to start a site where local artists and people meet. A site you just took pictures for. A site you can't stop thinking about. Go TALK to the guy!"

So I did. His name is Nicholas Coley.

Night Scene from Bernal by Nicholas Coley
I walked back and said "I like what you are painting, do you have any information so I could find your work online?" We had a nice chat and he handed my a few really nice post cards with some of his work on them.





I really like his work and I hope someday we can help him sell some of it.

He has an interesting story too, read all of it at his site (NickColey.com) and see more of his work. Slide show from his site here.

To Contact Nicholas Coley and purchase his work please use the information below. If you do buy anything please email us (corrado.artbag@gmail.com) and tell him you came from ArtB.ag when you talk to him!

To set up an appointment for a private viewing of Nick Coley’s work please email or call: nicholascoley@hotmail.com 415.269.6202 

Full bio from his site:

"Nicholas Coley was born in Connecticut in 1971 and raised in Muir Beach, California. He Studied art at L'ecole des Beaux Arts in Aix-en-Provence and at the Marchutz school in Le Tholonet, France. He has a BA in painting from the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, and lived, studied and painted for a year in a Vietnamese Buddhist Monastery in southwestern France.

Nicholas has travelled and painted extensively throughout Europe selling his work on the Charles Bridge in Prague, the Campo San Polo in Venice and from the freshly harvested fields outside Duras, France before taking the trans-Siberian railroad to China. He has painted and lived in Seattle and Portland, Oregon before returning to the Bay Area in 2000."

Support the man, he is one of us, a creator and a guy just trying to connect with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment